Sunday, April 25, 2010

Blogger World & English Poetry

Quite tensed is the blog scene now-a-days for me at least. My friends honor me by asking to review their work and I find myself in the most difficult position . Firstly, because I am a student of literature itself and unfortunately*  I think I have inherited The Great Tradition of Literature & Criticism. (*Unfortunately , because I sincerely believe -  Its folly to be wise where Ignorance is bliss) . Secondly , it becomes the case of "personal fallacy" in criticism as they are my friends and its very natural that my reviews are affected by the nature of my relationship with them.

I know I have not read much of literature but whatever I have read till now , by that and by my own nature I have formed few notions about the language & style of poetry in English Language. I strongly believe in Wordsworth's theory of poetry that it is - " spontaneous overflow of powerful emotions", and the language of poetry should be everyday language of common man because then it serves the first aim of poetry to give pleasure. And pleasure can only be derived  when without extra efforts you can understand the meaning of poem and when you understand the meaning you flow with the current of poem , deriving immense pleasure.

Now lets come to the point, lets talk about the Blogger World and its English Poets. Not every blogger is a scholar of literature but everyone of them have some thoughts which they feel they should pen down. But in jotting down their thoughts in the form of poem , the true nature of their thoughts is lost. May be it happens because of unconscious urge to attract attention and appreciation and then to be called an "intellectual". But poetry is not only about "intellect" , its the synthesis and harmony of "intellectual thought" and 'emotions". If you want to prove your intellect go and try your hand in Criticism or even Fiction. Its really sad to see that many bloggers do not understand the true nature of poetry. The most whimsical thing is that they work so hard to search difficult words to make a poem - a poem whose power of thought is so weak that after making the poem only structure remains and else all beauty is perished , meaning is lost. Hard diction is pardonable if thoughts are very powerful and myths , allusions , allegory & imagery have been used to strike a balance. Childish poetic style and diction can still make us smile but inane phraseology can do nothing but irritate us.

After the modern revolution in poetry - mellifluous poems with inane diction are out of trend. In already complex world we need a heart to heart connection which , I think can only come by simplifying things around us.

- Ojasi Mehta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...