Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Diary of Midnight's Children : The Game


27-7-11
(I have really begun to doubt on the real-ness of time)

Feeling a deep sense of loss. What has been lost but? Some dice , some coin , some beads are missing… but to where have they gone? Diaries! my first friend in this world was a diary and others were those words and spaces captured in that diary… but here we will talk about games… didn’t I use to say, “The games that we always played…”
 
Snake and Ladders. He writes : “All games have morals; and the game of Snakes and Ladders captures, as no other activity can hope to do, the eternal truth that for every ladder you climb, a snake is just waiting around the corner, and for every snake, a ladder will compensate.”

Indeed an eternal truth, to which no explanation is requisite.

Two full pages without a full stop and first time I felt something sort of a liking for this narrative. Flowing, lucid, lyrical almost like chanting the sacred letters on beads… I felt like I am walking on silken road while reading the prose…

9 comments:

  1. i always felt he was showing off. sometimes he just goes on and on, adding very little.. and he does it so effortlessly! more so in moor's last sigh than midnight's children, but that's Rushdie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. but don't miss his Haroun and the Sea of Stories - that one is just brilliant! (although i found his luka and the fire of life a major major let down)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a good writer, no doubt. For me, Midnight's Children was very hallucinating. I may have even forgotten how he wrote it or what he wrote, but I do remember feeling dazed after I had put the book down. Angel (how nice it feels to call you this), there are many writers. There are many people who have something to say. Take some, leave some.

    Go on. :)

    There are cat shaped holes in the world. Ice. For you, a thousand times over. And he danced. I do believe, that inspite of everything, people are still good at heart.

    P.S: There is no such thing as "time". It's relative :)

    P.P.S: I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to take up a sentence from your comment and blend it with something of the novel and my own feelings after I finished it. :)

    Miss you too dear.
    See you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hun, I don't know if this is the right place to write this, but there is a blog I'd like to share. I found it through Suno Sadhu (a blog you follow -found it from there itself :P).

    It's: http://baktoo.blogspot.com/

    The first few posts are on writing and etc, but keep going and reading her posts. They're brilliant. Btw hun, I assume you must love Sant Kabir's work (cos I do). Do you remember the website I once shared? On FB, on short films? If you don't remember love, here is it:

    www.cultureunplugged.com

    Search Kabir on it, and you can find Shabnam Virmani's videos on there. Absolute brilliance! :)

    Enjoy, love.

    Muah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling I have seen her movies. They are brilliant. I have met her too :) only once for less than two minutes. You know? Dont you G is her right hand. :) Aw sounds like some gang no...
    well... I have Kabir bhajans too...
    and the blog you shared , I follow it too :)
    She is a film-maker n writer (I guess).. its gud... :)
    Keep sharing (n i guess most of them would be our common discoveries) :)

    You know Liria, I had studied Hindi Literature (i am resuming my further studies in Hindi only) And there I have read Kabir (some of him) and I love him as a person more than for his thoughts (really)(and as I had read - I love Tagore's thoughts more than him as a person)
    Kabir was such an innocent and truly gifted fellow... but i am badly disappointed for people dont really know how to pay tributes to such a grand man... I am really disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! How awesome. I love her voice, it's very potent. :)

    Ah, you know, we should talk someday. Like, really talk. On Kabir. On many things. I've so much to learn from you :)

    Take care.
    Liria.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...