Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Waiting for Godot : My understanding of Beckett's play








There was a generation in mid twentieth century which realized – our existence is but an accident and our life has no purpose. We live but to die and both our living and dying is without meaning. Well “ nothing can be done” says Beckett in Waiting for Godot. The play was staged in London in 1955 and that time it said that we are doing nothing but uselessly “waiting” and passing the time since half past century. So , a century later , what should our generation feel? Well , generally I used to feel ‘good’ precisely ‘hopeful’ but after reading the play I felt ‘terrible’ as if someone has took off all my clothes , which I thought was my real skin and now I began feeling a pang in my heart for I wonder if all these years I was also ‘waiting’ (God’s grace) on the pillars of (faith) which is never going to come like Mr. Godot.

So the play has strength to shake your faith . But what gives it so much power? In my opinion , it does not talk much but it makes you feel what it wants to say. About setting the critics have said , the actions do take place once at everywhere and nowhere . About language , well , it becomes powerful because of brevity of expressions. I found one course of dialogue between two main characters – Vladimir and Estragon very impressive  - - -

(Estragon is eating a carrot) … Funny , the more you eat the worse it gets.
Vladimir – With me it’s just the opposite.
Estragon – In other words?
Vladimir – I get used to the muck as I go along.
 Estragon – Is that the opposite?
Vladimir – Question of temperament.
Estragon – Of character.
Vladimir – Nothing you can do about it.
Estragon – No use wriggling.
Vladimir – The essential doesn’t change.
Estragon- Nothing can be done.

So nothing can be done …  we are not essentially good or bad … we are what we make of ourselves … we are what we choose to believe.

One more speech moves me… to what I don’t know but it is impressive or at least you can make out some sense among senseless speeches – it is said by a slave , Lucky –

… God … loves us dearly with some exceptions for reasons unknown but time will tell …

At one point or other we all doubt whether God exists ? or if yes , does He love us ? And if yes , then why do we have to suffer ? Surely God has some reasons unknown to us. In the Shakespearean world there is always a gleam of light at the end of the tunnel and we feel ‘gods are just..’ but in our world , here we are not sure of anything not even of our own existence. Characters feel lonely in the play. They need others to make them feel that they exist.  Estragon says to VladimirWe always find something ,eh Didi , to give us the impression we exist?” . So many times Estragon fells asleep because like death it  gives some relief if not permanent at least temporary. Estragon again and again says "I can't go on like this" in this I find the best expression of the feelings of our generation . One feels at one point that s/he can’t go on like this because sometimes it is too much – too much of boredom , of purposelessness , of hopelessness, of helplessness and so on. It is one of the characteristics of the play that it gives you many levels of interpretations. 

The subtitle of the play is again very striking ,  which says – A tragicomedy in two acts. What is a life if not a blend of tragedy and comedy? And what is a true literature if it can not present the life as it is? But truly , I don’t know if the world of Waiting for Godot is really what I would like to call a true picture of life? Is there not a tragic sense prevailing upon comedy ? As they said , Beckett removed ‘s’ from the word ‘cosmic’ and it became ‘comic’ … a comic world without ‘s’ – spirit/soul. This comedy is just an attempt to forget tragic nonsense of life. I cant help quoting Hardy here – happiness is but an interval in the tragic course of life.

But let us not be disheartened . I had my enough doldrums since yesternight no more now. I will listen to Vladimir than Estragon who sounds more hopeful than later … as he says “Tomorrow everything will be better”.

8 comments:

  1. yes ma'am. i believe you're bang on target. it is an existentialist play. everyone at some stage has to make peace with their reason for living. afterall, the idea of a 'god' has already passed it's prime. with no heaven/hell/rebirth/moksh/etc to look forward to, one's life becomes concerned only with living, and to living fully. carpe diem mademoiselle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carpe diem ... indeed! :)
    But I could never enjoy the present moment. Some how I like the romantic thought about getting rewards after life or that your present life will affect next life....

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, consider it this way - when you know that this life is all there is, every moment becomes even more precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And what of all conditioning which we Indians have gone through ... elders taught us - this is good this is bad ... n so on
    Life is before us no doubt and we think we can make anything out of it... present moment is precious... and we have a desire to make it wonderful but then far in my mind I will be afraid (of God , society , elders , frnds , my own fears n so on) that becomes hurdle to this present enjoyment.
    I remember one poem by Andrew Marvell - To My Coy Mistress on the theme of Carpe Diem ... I appreciate it but just like - something u appreciate in others what you dont have in yourself.

    And about Waiting for Godot , I feel one thing , the characters are not in miserable situation . They chose to live that way ... its all about choosing but one more thing ... when someone would say to me - you chose to live this way - I would say - I couldnt help being this way.

    sometimes I feel (so helplessly) that we are governed by some mystical force...

    I think I have lost my mind.. :)
    Cya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol. give yourself some time for unconditioning (i liked your choice of word there). don't be too hard on yourself. you are constantly reading, questioning and willing to step out of the herd. your quest has already begun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!

    I hope I am THERE
    Where I Ought to be...

    But who decides that.

    Whatever ... I shouldn't be too hard on myself :)
    Tc!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good aise he age bado aur tarakki karo .. likho or khoob likho... extract ur heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ma'am i do agree with u that literature represents life and its a mixture of tragedy n comedy.here also in Wating for Godot Backett had tried to prsent tragedies of life of nothingness and loss in a comic way and through comic characters and circumstances
    sushmita

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...