Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Writing and Living Poetry

I have to write it. Just a thought it is. But I need to pen it down. It begins with a question - Is a poet and the man are both different?

Let's hear Mr.Eliot, he has something to say on it. In brief, according to him, the man who suffers and the man who writes are two different men. A poet is a particular medium where different emotions,experiences, images, impressions come together to enter into a new combination.

Once I had read someone and luckily I got a chance to know that person closely. The poet appeared to be very different than his poetry. It compelled me to ask myself some questions: Should there be any similarity between poet and his poem? Is it necessary that noble poetry should be written by a noble mind?

I realized or rather accepted the fact that most of the times you actually dont mean what you write (specifically in poetry). If you were to ask one day later, you will not feel the same thing, in a same way, with the same intensity. You might even experience a complete change of emotion. Thus your poetry is a dishonest expression of your temporary honest emotion. The truth of poetry is not permanent, not temporary and may be both at the same time. But certainly you can not judge a man through his poem and a poem through the personality of man. When you meet a poet in real life , its like meeting two persons at one time. I am not sure though, I would have said the same thing for Dylan Thomas or Sylvia Plath.

Writing confessional poetry is the most courageous task on the earth. But once you begin to proud on it, the honesty is compromised at the altar of ambitious heart. Again, writing your personality into your poem is not that bad when you actually can hide it under your art.

Ogh! I am talking big today. But one last thing , Every writer, at his heart, aspires to be a poet. 

2 comments:

  1. Amazing point of view Warrior, but for many poetry or any other form of communication for that matter is medium to express themselves, their dreams, pains, aspirations, hopes, fears and what not. We cannot measure the feeling a writer puts into her/his writeup, we cannot measure how intensely she/he felt while writing that piece up. I agree to the point that its unfair to the poem and the poet to be judged based on one another. But Poetry is an art form which is impromptu, instantaneous. It is born of moments, moments through which poet Dreams, Creates, Feels, Lives and Destroys different realities. We cannot fathom them later on does not mean that they never existed or are dishonest. I believe basic nature of poetry is Confessional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ephemeral Truth !!
    I was charged with some personal memories when I wrote it. :)
    And I agree to your point.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...