Sunday, June 13, 2010

An Initiative - Beyond Expectations



Who can tell what is truth and what futility ?
Who can tell which dream will turn into reality?

When I was attending the Capacity Building Workshop conducted by Pravah Jaipur Initiative in collaboration with other organizations in Jaipur , far in my mind, a dream was shaping that I will conduct a workshop in my hometown too. I learnt comics though I wanted to learn film-making first but I chose comics because I knew I can spread this art easily than film-making. And I am glad that I could do it. And I could do it only when first I thought – I can do it.

I had to face many challenges but as always I am so lucky and things turned into my favor. The workshop was organized by Bharat Vikas Parishad , Pravah Jaipur Initiative & World Comics India. I got so much help from Bharat Vikas Parishad and I represented other two organizations as a volunteer. My only biggest challenge was that I was alone as an instructor or trainer and I knew making Comics is a no joke. We elders could do it in two days with the help of two elder trainers and I had so many small kids , all were below 8th class but as they say , “jahaan chaah hai wahaan raah hai” I did my best. My one friend came ahead to help me . Nishita is pursuing BVA(visual arts) from ICG college, Jaipur. Fortunately , she had also attended a one day Workshop on Comics in her college so she was equally supporting me.

Other challenge was collecting kids and managing them . I wanted to conduct this workshop for the students above 8th class but as usual at my end children are very shy & egoistic . They think they know everything and need not to learn anything new. Well , on the contrary , the small kids were so enthusiastic and eager to learn that I couldn’t hold the boundaries which I made any longer.  First day , I had hardly five kids but last day I had almost 20-22 kids . The reason , simply was that children were enjoying themselves and through mouth publicity the grew into a good numbers. They were learning something new which they liked. They were busy , doing something productive and creative. And above all , their parents were encouraging them a lot , after all now children were not watching tv , wasting their time and irritating their parents.


Last day had become very memorable for me as I got many wishes as well as many amazing feedbacks , which I had hardly expected. A small kid , Parv Vyas who is in 3rd std , though couldn’t complete his comics but he made comics in his drawing book which was on “water conservation”. He gave message that – “we should not bath in shower and waste water”. That amazing kid himself used to bath in shower but when he made that comics , he told his mother that – “I wont bath in shower and in bath tub because I myself made comics on that, we should not waste water”.  His mother told me on last day that I was trying to teach  him this from last two months but he wouldn’t listen to me , now your comics workshop has done what I couldn’t. This was a Big Compliment for me. I got success. I told her that if such small child can understand what I wanted to convey then I think I am succeeded in my effort.

The response was beyond expectations. I knew Banswara is not a developed city , but it is an intellectual city. People are ahead in taking initiatives and they engage themselves in many social activities. Many people came to meet me during workshop , to understand the concept and wish me luck. My principle , Saroj Nagawat ma’am asked me to organize a workshop in my old school , which is a thing to proud on. Parv’s mother , who is also a teacher asked me to add Theatre also next time , as she says , many people are interested in learning new things.

Earlier I had planned to take registration fees but then I discarded that thought and took no fees from anyone and so couldn’t provide much things and gifts to kids. But the response and enthusiasm of visitors and well wishers was so amazing that Last Day , Saroj ma’am gifted drawing books to children and Kothari aunty gave them pencils and other stuff . My parents financed the whole workshop. Whole in whole , the workshop  was beyond expectations… & my experience…. Ah! I am short of words now J

17 comments:

  1. just loved the pictures - a bunch of childs..
    lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=5515415992470288022

    Sky: Great Work.....really Appretiate those people who taking that kind of initiative...Hat off....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sky: Great Work....Appreatiate those people who taken that kind of initiative....Hats off to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see you...Mam(Saroj Nagawat)....u r living legend for us.....i saw you after long period of time.....Thanks for publish this pic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you "Sky" for ur comments... And I wonder if u r from banswara and know Saroj mam ??? I thank her a lot as she encouraged me in my efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks 4 giving me such a nice opportunity to express myself...n i really enjoy with you n children....they r amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. well keep it up...n thanks 4 giving me that pleasure ..."yar mene to kuch nahi kiya tha sari mehnat to tumhari hi thi..."
    all the best 4 ur successful future..

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice experience 4 me..aur vese i m doing bva(visual arts)..not BA..but chill no prob..

    ReplyDelete
  9. But i would like to say..pls do not say "Banswara is not a developed city"....People like you,Nishita and Saroj mam are making it Developing city.....IF u hav no prob then May i have 2 or 3 Comic arts from your side? i will print it on T-shirt....if yes then pls send me on sky_waiting@yahoo.co.in

    Looking forward to hear your positive response

    Ek baat aur bolu....I just love kids...Thanks to you & Nishita for such a gr8 thinking and efforts...best of luck for next

    Sky

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Nishita - Yaar believe me if u were not there to help me I dunno how I would have managed it. And sorry for the mistake I will change it there. Thanks for comment :) All the best to you too for Future , I can already see it will be very bright.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ SKY - Thanks again for your encouraging comment. :) And Sky I m not very good in this Drawing field ... my Comics is a grassroot comics... I think Nishita can help u with Cartoons which u can print on Tee-shirt :) Btw I liked the idea of printing Cartoons on Teez --- I also wanna try it... can u help me wd that? And do u live in Banswara? tc!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @angel:
    Trust that you are fine,
    Yes i am frm Banswara. but working at Bangalore....and i was d part of BVB school...and Saroj mam is d one of my favorite as well..Ok no prob,but atleast you can request to Nishita to sending me out cartoons on my email "sky_waiting@yahoo.co.in",if she has no prob.

    Surely,whenever i will get your cartoons,i will just print it out on t-shirt and will send you and Nishita...it is mine promise...

    Awaiting positive respone from you & Nishita...

    What everytime "you"? May i have your good name pls...

    Have a nice weekend,Thnaks


    Sky

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Sky - Nice to hear from you ... Well I am Ojasi , may I know yours? Even I am uncomfortable with the address "sky" :)
    I will try to contact Nishita. Btw could you just explain what type of cartoon and visual you are expecting?
    tc!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your reply.....

    Ojasi,hey nice name..

    Y wht happend? i think u dunno like my name SKY...

    Whatever cartoons and visual you & Nishita can send,it wud be fine for me...lets see what could you both has for me????.....I dunno know tht much abt art,however i will tell you which one is good....and get it print.....

    TNB

    Sky....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks...
    Sky is obviously a very nice name... but I wanted to know ur real name... ??
    Well I will talk to Nishita and send u watever I can :)

    wats TNB?

    tc!

    ReplyDelete
  16. TNB means...Thanks Nahi Bolunga
    I usually say to mine frnds TNB....

    Sky means you can find many meanings from dictionary...but i like AAKASH d most......

    Let c ...what you & Nishita will send?it wud be priceless Teasure for me

    Cheers!!

    Sky

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...